BASIC SKILLS COURSE
Dates: (Subject to local Melbourne COVID-19 Restrictions)
Sunday 20th Sept, 11-3pm, Westerfolds Park, Templestowe
Sunday 11th Oct, 10-2pm, Westerfolds Park, Templestowe
Saturday 21st Nov 9-1pm, Westerfolds Park, Templestowe
Time: 4 hours total
Location/s: Westerfolds Park Templestowe
Who: This course is designed for anyone who seeks to understand the essential paddling skills and safety requirements for successful paddling on Victorian waterways.
What is included:
- Paddle Australia Qualification Scheme (PAQs)from accredited Paddle Victoria instructors and Guides
- 4 hours of interactive instruction
- All Paddling Gear and equipment advice
- Successful completion includes a PAQS basic skills award certificate
Course description/ Overview:
What is a Basic Skills course?
The Basic Skills Course is an introduction to paddling where participants come away with an PAQs Basic Skills Certificate of accreditation. The course is delivered and assessed by a current Paddle Australia qualified Guide or Instructor and assessment will be carried out on flat, sheltered water. You have the option to complete the award in a canoe, kayak or Sit on top craft.
What will I learn?
The course will teach you 6 essential strokes for paddling to control your craft efficiently and will also include a safety briefing and explanation of equipment used. You will also learn:
- The safety requirements for paddlers and their craft in Victorian Waterways
- Understanding the use of life jackets and the legislation surrounding the wearing of life jackets
- Launch the craft, embark and paddle away from the launching point
- Disembark, then re-embark, paddle to deep water, capsize and assist with a deep water rescue or swim the craft ashore
Focusing on paddling skills, you will be taught:
- Understanding of correct posture and basic injury prevention
- Paddling forwards, backwards and emergency stops
- Turning the craft
- The use of the paddle as a means of support on the water
- Coming alongside other craft, and also a clear approach to the launching point
Candidates will need to be able to swim 50 metres in paddling clothes (shirt, shorts and sandshoes as a minimum) whilst wearing a life jacket and swim under the craft to surface on the other side.
Due to the physical nature of this course, individuals are required to be 15 years of age or over to participate. If you are under 15 years and are keen to get paddling, contact the Paddle Victoria office on 9020 2750 for information on other ways to get involved.